Friday, June 12, 2009

Treasure and Trash


Everything changes when you leave your job.

A lot of uncertainties pop up making it harder to figure out what to spend money on and what not to.
I'm not worried about being homeless or anything like that, but until things get settled down the road, I should endeavor to be an extra diligent steward of the resources I have.

All that being said, I'd like to introduce you to our new little trash can.
I noticed it while lurking around the Loblaws Superstore the other day. It fit with our colour scheme perfectly and it was handsome.
I did the go-home-and-think-about-it thing for a day or two, but since I kept thinking about it, I thought that I should probably get it. I'd saved up enough PC points to cover the $14.99 cost.

The can was purchased.

On the way home I thought about how things you buy during times of financial uncertainty become your own personal treasures. It meant something to get it.
Once home I started thinking more about my purchase. Especially after not being able to reach an agreement with "all parties" as to where the new bin should go. I thought about how those free points could have been used to cover things we actually use on a weekly basis as opposed to it being spent on something that just "looked good."
At that point I retrieved the receipt from the recycling and decided that I would take back the handsome garbage can. I would just be satisfied with the dollar store plastic things we'd been using instead. Done and done.

My thoughts were then disturbed by James walking into the room, proudly announcing that he'd disinfected the new can for me and removed the label. I wanted to laugh out loud, but it was so thoughtful of him to get it all ready for me, I wanted him to be able to bask in his moment of wifely appreciation.
Also, he'd just taken care of the guilt for me. Can't take it back now, so I get to enjoy my new treasure.
Yay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment