Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bad Service


Time to get caught up on my blog.

On Thursday at 2am, James, Eugene and myself decided to go out for Chinese food.
I had a coupon for a restaurant that was open 24 hours a day. I won't mention the name since I don't feel like getting sued.
Upon our arrival everything seemed normal until I presented the coupon to the waiter. He yelled "no coupon!" and slammed it back to the table without any further explanation.
When James asked what the issue was with the coupon, the waiter said it was for dinnertime and not the morning.
Since the coupon didn't have any time limitations on it except to say it was open 24/7, we continued to look puzzled. The waiter then took another look at the coupon and declared it expired in 2008. His response to my clarification that it expired this coming November was to laugh and run off.
Awhile later I had to almost jump on him to get his attention about some missing food we'd ordered (which had been clearly written down).
When we left we were still shocked by just how bad the service had been.

All that being said, my point here is not not be all whiny like Perez Hilton.
What I want to know is, what do you do when your waiter is clearly rude? I didn't have faith in speaking to someone else at the restaurant since they seemed preoccupied with wiping their noses on things. I also didn't want them to spit in our food.
We were so conflicted, we ended up still leaving a tip, although it was probably about 5%. Perhaps we're so conditioned to hearing stories from our ex-waiter friend Dave that even with the worse service, it feels almost criminal to not leave a tip.

By the way, the food in that picture is obviously not from the Chinese restaurant we went to. It's from a honeymoon breakfast at Clontarf Castle in Ireland. I didn't have a picture of Chinese food nearby. Clontarf had much better restaurant service.

I love breakfast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment