Friday, August 28, 2009

The Cookie Diet


Day 1:
When I first heard about the cookie diet I was intrigued. I thought I'd research it a bit.
I had a hard time finding any stories from real people, so I thought it might be beneficial if I tested it and blogged for the whole world to see.
It's funny that I was interested in this given that I don't follow diet fads at all. I dieted a bit before my wedding almost 2 years ago, but that was about it.
I wish there was a way to sample the cookies. It was painful to have to spend $89.40 to get a week's supply and not know what they even taste like. Because the Toronto area store hasn't opened yet, I had to ship them from the website. The product itself is $59, but then shipping to Canada isn't cheap.
As you can see in the box, it comes with 7 packages (containing 6 cookies apiece) and a sample of multivitamins. You're supposed to take 1 vitamin a day to supplement the cookie diet, but unfortunately for me, they're as large as the usual multivitamins that are on the market, and I can't swallow big pills. After hubby was kind enough to break one in half for me, I still had difficulties, so the plan is now to scrap Dr. Siegals' vitamins and take my adult chewables.

And now for the taste: Yeahhhh.....

I had pretty low expectations given that this is not a pleasure cookie. I let James have a nibble and we both agreed that it's pretty bland. Texture-wise, it's softer than we thought it would be.
One thing I should mention is that I like to drink Crystal Light. After eating my first cookie and downing some Raspberry Ice, I could tell that they don't want to be friends. Bad taste mix for the tongue!
When I got hungry about an hour later, I decided to have the cookie with a cup of skim milk. That was definitely better. Unfortunately, because there's so many calories in milk, I'll probably have to keep it at one cup a day.
I was ravenously hungry when I had my first cookie for breakfast, and I can report that it does take away your hunger for a bit. I am, however, really looking forward to having some real food later on for supper.
I keep catching myself wondering when I'm going to have breakfast. I'm craving scrambled eggs and toast.
I'm not doing a good job ingesting liquids to help keep my stomach filled, so now I'm hungry again and nibbling on cookie #3. It's been about 3 hours since cookie number 1, so if I run out of cookies early, I might split an apple with James or something.
This time I'm drinking Coke Zero with the cookie. Still a better combination than the Crystal Light.
I'm going to run to the grocery store to get a chicken salad for dinner. Salads take a long time to eat, so perhaps I can get an early start tonight...

Day conclusion:
Now that the day has finished I have some additional thoughts.
Today was definitely a day of adjustments. I struggled a lot with hunger and the thought of not being able to eat the usual food we have kicking around here.
I put my chocolate items away where I wouldn't see them and be tempted.
I made the mistake of trying to wait extra time before starting a new cookie. That only caused me to be more hungry and frustrated. It also resulted in me having a leftover cookie.
I cheated a bit by having a couple apple slices.

So that's my report so far. This should be an interesting week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment