Friday, July 10, 2009

Markham Ribfest

It was time to grab the wet-naps and head on out to our first ribfest of the year.

Because of the nice weather I had ants in my pants to get out and do something. We just missed the Toronto ribfest, so we decided to brave the extra few miles to get to Markham.

I have to say, it's really scenic driving up to their fairgrounds. We even got to play a game of "spot the mansion" on the way there. We dig mansions.

We arrived around 7pm and even though we thought the lines were pretty long when we jumped in one, the lines were much longer by the time we got our food. That always makes me feel good for some selfish reason.
The ribs were $22 for a full rack, so we decided to split one.
I appreciated being able to view all the glistening pig-topped trophies while we were waiting in line.

The big challenge at a ribfest (other than deciding which line to jump in), was finding a picnic table with space for the 2 of us. It was pretty tricky, but just before we gave up, 3 kind souls said there was room at their table, so we joined them and I rewarded them for their kindness by sharing my wet-naps.

Wow, the ribs were good.

While we were eating we were even treated to a fly-by. James said they looked like 2 military planes. Those suckers are loud!

Usually there's all sorts of booths peddling various things, but I was surprised to see a booth for bed sheets. Bed sheets at a ribfest?!

I did swing by the booth selling chocolate paraphernalia since they were giving out free samples of chocolate covered licorice. Since I love free stuff, we were also going to swing by the booth giving out free milk cartons, but by the time we left they had stopped giving them out. Perhaps it was a promo for the first 500 people or something?

All in all it was a great day for rib fans.
For anyone attending a ribfest, we'd definitely recommend a hat (if you don't have huge shades), and comfortable shoes for all that walking!

With any luck we'll get to attend the ribfest in Kitchener next weekend. That one could be particularly entertaining since the host park is also full of Canadian geese. I would like to see some geese battling for ribs.

Could you blame them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment